Thursday, October 27, 2011

Something That Lasts

This has been one of those weeks when I don't have much time to call my own. Between regularly scheduled programming, dentist appointments, early morning and late afternoon play practices, and work projects (which I'm thrilled to have after a bit of a dry spell), I'm feeling very behind in the day-to-day tasks of running a household. It's now 12:36 and my bed isn't even made. And last night I made it just before falling into it. The kitchen is pretty much a disaster. There are shoes and backpacks blocking the front door.

I can choose to focus on those things and let them get me down. Or I can count some victories: I worked out 4 times last week and two so far this week. I got together a fun fall craft for the kids I teach on Wednesday morning at church. I made two pairs of earrings and fixed a third pair yesterday. Two days ago I was caught up on laundry. I made a meal this week that my husband called a home run. I went to the zoo with the two littles on Monday and really enjoyed it. And last night I got this book signed by the author:


This process of focusing on your successes instead of your failures is kind of like adding things to your to-do list that you've already finished. It makes you feel better.

But at the same time, it can help you prioritize what's most important. When I get to the end of the day and am caught up on all the household tasks (which doesn't happen very often), I feel happy about that, but I also know that those same tasks will be waiting for me again the next day. And the day after that. And next year. There's a certain drudgery about a lot of what parents do. Erma Bombeck says that cleaning the house while your kids are still growing is like shoveling the driveway while it's still snowing. Or maybe it's like spinning your wheels. Like three steps forward and then two steps back. The point is, when I make a list of what I did get accomplished this week, I realize that what I really feel good about are the things that will last beyond today. A clean house, nice as it is, lasts about five minutes when there are young children in it. But some of the other things I did this week will still be in their current finished state a decade from now.

More to the point, the deep conversations I had, the service done cheerfully and sacrificially for others, the time spent on my knees in prayer . . . those things will last forever.

So today as I make my to-do list, rather than griping about the fact that half the day has been taken up with dentist appointments, a grumpy baby, and the preschool pick-up, I'm going to pick a few things to do that will last beyond today, and perhaps even into eternity. And then I can feel like the day was well spent even if my bed never gets made and the laundry continues to pile up (I may have been caught up two days ago, but now several more loads need attention). Of course, I will have to do some of those daily chores as well--I'm just not going to stress about getting all of them finished before I head into the jewelry workshop or do a craft with the littles.

What's on your to-do list today?

2 comments:

  1. There's always a to-do list, but my most important tasks this week included conversations with students and friends and helping one of my girls hit "Send" on her college applications. Success!! Thanks for helping me re-focus my perspective, Nancy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. the parenting tasks seem to have higher and higher stakes as the years go by, don't they?! Glad she got it done!

    ReplyDelete