It seems like lately, no matter what solution a mom triumphantly posts on Facebook, several people feel the need to post a scientific study proving that she is endangering the life of her child. Thanks a lot. So here I've compiled 10 things not to say to your new mom friends.
1) When are you going to have another one?
2) You look so tired. (She is. No need to remind her.)
3) I read you should never ____ (insert something she's doing with her child).
4) Are you breastfeeding? (none of your business) Don't worry, the weight will come right off because you're breastfeeding. (It may not until she's done breastfeeding. Don't get her hopes up or make her feel like she's doing something wrong if it doesn't.)
5) Wow, he/she sure is a screamer! Or the closely related, Wow, that's a huge baby!
6) I remember those days. Enjoy them. They grow so fast!
7) Is he/she a good sleeper? My babies all slept through the night at 2 weeks old.
8) What's that on your shirt? (Do you really want to know? It probably came out of the baby. And thanks for pointing it out.)
9) Don't you think your baby needs a hat/socks/sweater?
10) Didn't you just feed her? I don't think she's hungry. You need a schedule.
You're doing a great job, Mama! You know your baby better than anyone else and are just the right mother for him. The two of you will figure it out together.