Thursday, October 27, 2011

Friday Funnies

Perhaps you have to know my family to think this is funny, but since most of my 10 or so readers do know my family, I guess that'll work out fine. Here is a conversation between grandparent and grandchild, as passed down by grandmother:


Grandparent:  Is your dad watching baseball these days?
Alison:  I don't know.  How would I know?
Grandparent:   Well, there are some really important exciting baseball games going on.  Do you talk about baseball in school?
Alison:   Baseball?  Huh?  No way.
Grandparent:    Have you heard of the World Series?
Alison: No.
Grandparent (trying another tack): You don't have spelling baseball or geography baseball or something like that?
Alison:   Spelling baseball??? No.
Grandparent:  What do they teach kids these days?
Alison: We only do baseball in Sunday School.

At the moment (Thursday night), dad is downstairs watching game 6, as he has done with every baseball game since the playoffs. I guess we're doing a good job of keeping the kids away from the TV, but I'm not sure whether to laugh or cry at this 8-year-old's complete cultural illiteracy.

No comments:

Post a Comment