Thursday, November 10, 2011

Single Parents

My husband is out of town for a few weeks. Fortunately I have in-town grandparents who are helping me tons. Without them I could not navigate school plays, parent-teacher conferences, classroom help, and getting to the gym every now and then. I'm very thankful!

Since this blog is sort of an extension of my life, by which I mean that I don't plan ahead, and I don't particularly make goals for it, I just write what I'm inspired to write, blogging may be a bit sporadic in my husband's absence. Or maybe I'll need this outlet, we'll just have to see. Anyway, today I have a few thoughts.

Every time my husband goes on a trip, I gain new respect for single parents. It is hard to not have someone to fall back on when you're tired, or to stay with the kids while you run out for milk, or to help you drive kids to and fro. You have to do a lot more planning ahead, and you can't afford to not be on top of your schedule. And to do all the housework and childcare and care for the emotional needs of your kids without the support of a loving spouse . . . I just can't imagine. The pressures, the fears, the loneliness must be staggering.

So to all of you single parents, or to those of you who sometimes feel like a single parent due to work schedule or your spouse's emotional/psychological struggles or long-term disability, I dedicate these verses. God cares for you in a special way.

"Father of the fatherless and protector of widows is God in his holy habitation. . . . Blessed be the Lord, who daily bears us up; God is our salvation." Ps 68: 5, 19

May the Lord bear you up today!

No comments:

Post a Comment