Thursday, November 17, 2011

Art Class, Take 2

It's been a little over a week since I posted about art class. I ended up taking some time off on the weekend, but I've spent much more time in my jewelry workshop this week than usual. Here is some of what I've made this week.



And here is my ever-present "helper."

In this process of being more disciplined about making time for creativity, I've discovered a few things. First of all, it's really fun. I keep feeling like I'm on vacation, because usually it's only at Gram's house that I work on jewelry this much. Feeling like you're on vacation even when you're at home . . . by yourself . . . with 5 children . . . including a 19-month-old . . . well, that's priceless!

Related to that, I think I'm much happier when I'm being creative. It's not that I'm a super-creative person. My drawing consists of stick figures that my children make fun of. I'm more of a practical, organized type of person who likes everything in my world to have a purpose and a place. But each of us has some creative outlet that we are good at, and if we find that one thing and make time for it, I think it makes for a much happier life.

I also think I've been more productive this week than usual. It's kind of like that old adage that if you want something to get done, ask a busy person. When I have more that has to get done (including some paid work projects this week! Hooray!), I somehow manage to get it all done. For some reason, spending 45 minutes or so in the morning creating something gives me the extra energy later in the day to get my chores and other work done too.

So, if you haven't found your creative outlet, that thing that you look forward to doing, that thing that makes you lose track of time while you're immersed in it, that thing that gives you energy and enthusiasm . . . I encourage you to find it. Sign up for a class in something you've always wanted to do. Take a trip to the craft store and see what looks like it might be fun. Ask your friends to show you their hobbies and see if something sparks an interest for you.

And if you do have that creative thing that you love to do but you keep not having time for it, give yourself the gift of a daily art class.

p.s. All that jewelry and more is for sale. Anyone ready for some early Christmas shopping? You know where to find me;)

3 comments:

  1. Like Like Like! You've inspired me to get away from the computer and to the jewelry.

    :)

    oh, and this looks like pretty similar to my latest post:)

    I like the (brass??) earrings with the beads, need to try it out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you're talking about the copper with paua shell beads. Or there's one pair with silver and gold filled beads mixed. The rest are silver.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE that you are making bracelets! Those are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete