Monday, March 5, 2012

Mondays with Martha: homemade granola

I'm still trying to rein in our out-of-control grocery bill. I'm continually astounded by how quickly food disappears from our house! In addition to making overnight oatmeal a few times a week, I've been making homemade granola a little more often. Here's the recipe I've been using, which is based one one found in this book.



Homemade Granola

Mix together:
9 cups quick-cooking oats
2 c rolled oats (or you can use quick oats for all 11 c of oats)
1 c wheat germ or ground flax seed
1/2 c flour

3-4 c "goodies"--I've been using 1 c coconut and 2-3 c chopped nuts

Combine in a 2-c glass measuring cup:
1 c canola oil
1 c honey (or maple syrup also works)

Heat oil and honey in the microwave for 2 minutes and then stir. Pour this mixture over the dry ingredients and mix well. Bake in 3 large, greased pans at 325 degrees for 20 minutes. If you have a convection oven you can do all three at once, otherwise do it in batches. Cool and store in an airtight container for up to 4 weeks. Add dried fruit if desired.

This recipe makes a sort of muesli-ish textured granola. I like that it uses quick oats and that it's not super crunchy. (That makes it easier for the kids to wolf it down in the five minutes before the bus comes.)

And since this is Mondays with Martha, I'll include a link to her granola recipe, which I'm sure is wonderful and which should be stored in a fancy glass jar with a lovely handmade label. My recipe is probably more suited to a disposable Ziploc container, but there's no shame in that.

No comments:

Post a Comment